June 25, 2009

Strawberry Bakewell Tart

The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.

Just posting some pictures of my completed work with a few notes. I'm not going to repost the different recipes needed because, unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the product! The crust is basically made of a shortbread dough. We had our pick of fillings so I just used some of the strawberry freezer jam I had just put up. Then the frangipane seals it all in. I don't believe I've had frangipane before but that's probably because I'm not a fan of almond and it has both almond extract and ground almonds in it. There's also a lot of egg involved so it's rather "squidgy", as the DB website puts it.

1 comment: