September 4, 2009

Grandma's Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe


Although my Grandma Williamson has passed on a number of sugar cookie recipes, I find this one to be the easiest. Mainly because it doesn't require chilling any dough or going through the rather laborious process of rolling and cutting dough. Score! I topped these beauties with a lemon icing this time around but I'll give you both icing recipes so you can choose between the two.

Sugar Cookies
  • 1 cup butter, softened (or half butter/half shortening)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 5 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat butter and sugar together until well blended. Add all other ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Use either a cookie scoop or a rounded tablespoon to drop batter onto a greased cookie sheet. These do spread a little when baking so leave some space between them. Bake for 12 minutes or until they start to be golden brown.

Standard Icing
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 T milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Lemon Icing
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 T milk
  • 4 T lemon juice or to taste
For the icing, I just beat together the softer, or liquid, ingredients first and then incorporate as much powdered sugar as is necessary to get it to spreading consistency.

After I got my icing to the lightly lemoned state, I set aside about 1/3 cup and colored the remainder with yellow food coloring. The picture shows the finished product with all the pieces put together! The squiggles are nothing more than the basic icing squeezed through the snipped tip of a Ziploc bag. Be as creative as you want to be and enjoy!

2 comments:

Rachel Sarah said...

mmmmm... sugar cookies with frosting are my favorite. My Granny's recipe is similar to this but it has sour cream in them which makes the cookies really soft. (I prefer soft over cruncy, myself.)

Emily said...

Actually, these are really soft too. Probably because of all the butter involved. ;)